Before you go
- Check the local weather forecast.
- Bring waterproof and warm clothing.
- Put on your shoes and gear properly.
- Take some food (think about local producers) and hydration.
- Don’t overestimate your physical abilities.
- Take a topo guide or IGN map with you.
Durinf the activity
- Stay on the signposted paths.
- Adapt your itinerary according to changing weather conditions.
- Do not open the fences, use the prepared crossings, and close the gates once you have passed them.
- During the hunting season, ask the Cantal Hunting Federation about the hunting times.
Hiking with your dog on a leash
✅Tolerated on hiking trails.
❌ Even on a leash, do not cross the summer pastures with your dog.
✅Tolerated on the GR® itinerary as part of an itinerant hike (installation at sunset, departure at sunrise).
❌ Wild camping (staying several days in the same place) is forbidden.
Making a fire
✅Only in landscaped areas.
❌ Forbidden within 200 m of a border, a wood, a forest, you expose yourself to a fine of 135 €. A fire start that can deduct several hectares of greenery.
Throw away my rubbish
✅Bring a bag to take your rubbish with you.
❌ Throw away your rubbish: an apple core takes 5 months to degrade in nature, a candy wrapper 5 years, a plastic bottle 1 century…
Observe the wild fauna/flora
✅Keep a low profile, you are more likely to see wildlife at sunrise or at nightfall. Admire, observe, and photograph the plants.
❌ Keep a safe distance, do not try to get too close. Picking the plants exposes you to a fine of 135 €.